Wedding planning can be an exciting time for couples, as they begin to envision their big day and all the details that would make the day unforgettable.
However, it can also be a very stressful and overwhelming process that requires careful planning, organisation, and decision-making.
In this blog, I will provide real advice from couples’ wedding planning – the do’s and the don’ts. From managing budgets to choosing suppliers and dealing with family, I’ll cover a range of wedding day tips to help you make your wedding planning journey as smooth as possible!
These couples have advice for you straight from the trenches to help you avoid the mistakes they made so that you can truly have the day of your dreams. So let’s get into it!
Do’s and Don’ts for Couples Wedding Planning
- Favourite Moments of Their Wedding Day
- Favourite Suppliers
- The One Thing They Are Glad They Invested In When Wedding Planning
- Regrets from Wedding Planning
- Unnecessary Wedding Investments
- The Most Stressful Part of Wedding Planning
- Advice From Couples Wedding Planning
Favourite Moments of Their Wedding Day
The first question I asked the couples in my audience was “What was your favourite moment from your wedding day?”
The most popular answer was the moment they joined their spouse at the end of the aisle. A few others said that they really enjoyed the reception and the party.
However, the answer that really stood out for me, was when the couples said they appreciated the alone time they got. Since the wedding day is about you celebrating your love, it’s so important to get to have some alone time to truly soak in the moments!
The next question I asked the couples in my audience was “Who was your favourite supplier and why?”
The answers really varied here! Most couples were really happy with their florists, some shouted out their catering team and cake bakers, and there was some love for the hair and make-up professionals!
I’m proud to say, that a lot of the couples said they are happy they hired me as their wedding photographer!
The main reason why those suppliers stood out for the couples is the fact that they went above and beyond for them and helped make their wedding day truly special!
The One Thing They Are Glad They Invested In When Wedding Planning
The next question I asked the couples in my audience was “What was the one thing you’re so glad you bought or hired for your wedding day?”
The answers varied between sweet details like light-up love letters, ribbon streamers, and dessert stands and suppliers, like a band, a DJ & photographers. However, the number one thing couples are so glad they invested in is a videographer!
A lot of couples choose not to hire a videographer, however, the ones who end up having one are very happy they did! It’s amazing to be able to watch the wedding back not only in photos but also in video!
Regrets from Wedding Planning
Next, I asked the couples if there was anything they wished they had done differently and whether they had any regrets about wedding planning.
I was incredibly glad to hear that a lot of the couples were happy with how their day turned out and had no regrets!
However, here is a list of some things the couples wished were different.
- Some couples wished they had eased their stress and workload before their big day by hiring a wedding planner and not DIYing their wedding so much.
- A few of the couples wished they had splurged a bit more and gotten a videographer to capture their big day. In the previous point, you can see that the couples who chose to invest in a videographer were really happy they did!
- Some couples wished they hadn’t used a family friend or the friend of a friend as their wedding photographer, since they didn’t deliver the best results. Instead, they wished they had spent more and booked someone professional (like me!)
- A few of the couples wished they hadn’t invited so many people, especially inviting any extended family they don’t see much.
Unnecessary Wedding Investments
Of course, I wanted to know, if there was anything the couples bought or hired that they didn’t actually need for their wedding day.
Most of the answers were a resounding NO because they had budgeted carefully and invested in the things and suppliers that really mattered to them.
However, there were a couple of answers that might come in handy to you as you are planning your wedding!
- A couple said that they wished they hadn’t invested in evening food. If you’re eating at 4 PM, you don’t need a second cooked meal 3 hours later. Rather have a snack buffet if people feel peckish after hitting the dance floor.
- Another couple wished they hadn’t gotten a guest book. Apparently, they threw it away shortly after their anniversary.
The Most Stressful Part of Wedding Planning
Unsurprisingly, the answer to the question of what added the most unnecessary stress while wedding planning was – family.
Working through difficult family dynamics, coming up with seating plans and being bombarded with family’s wishes and advice, often is the most stressful part of the whole wedding planning experience!
This point ties into the final point – the advice from couples’ wedding planning!
Advice From Couples Wedding Planning
The biggest advice from couples’ wedding planning was to stay true to you and your spouse-to-be. Don’t let other people dictate how your big day should look and who to invite!
Remember it’s YOUR big day and it should be about you both celebrating your love!
Another important piece of advice is to really enjoy every moment and find some time for just the two of you amongst all the beautiful chaos.
As you know, wedding planning can be a stressful task! However, I hope that the real advice from couples’ wedding planning, and all the do’s and don’ts discussed in the blog will help you have a truly magical day!
If you’re ready to enquire about your wedding photography, then get in touch! I’d love to hear from you!